Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Don't ever...

There are a few things you should just leave out of your vocabulary. First one is telling your wife she is fat. Even if she is, you made her that way. ;)

But seriously, don't ever say you are "babysitting" your kids. They are your kids, you don't babysit them. You parent them. Hopefully you spend time with them, teach them, and love on them. Some of my fondest memories are from times I've taught my kids something. My oldest will forever be indebted to me because I taught him how to tie his shoes.

In all seriousness. I hear of dads all over the place who babysit their kids. Maybe its not that phrase I specifically hear, although I use it to get my mom worked up, it's what I see dads doing that really erks me.

Does Nascar, Football, or even the computer mean more to you than that kid you made. Or did you just want to ram it and oops, look what Santa brought?  Here are just a few ideas on how you can get involved.

1) Coach their team
2) Teach them to drive
3) Teach them to shoot a gun - Don't you want to teach them gun safety rather then some dad who is "babysitting them?"
4) Camp in a tent with them in the back yard.
5) Read an intellectual book to them at bed time. (I hate to read, even have had reading issues but my 7 year old and I have some deep conversations over The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis at night.
6) Teach them about GOD
7) Go to the batting cages.
8) Snuggle and read a book
9) Dad's with daughters - Take them on a date.   **I haven't had the pleasure as of yet because of their age, but take them out all dressed up to a fancy 5star restaurant.   Make it hard for them idiot boys that are interested in her to match your level of mochismo. Then she will shoot for the better guys.
10) Take them to a park.

But do something instead of BABYSITTING them!

No comments:

Post a Comment